How do I find a good provider?
When looking for an abortion provider, it is important to find one that meets your needs, both physically and emotionally. It is also important to know what questions to ask. All providers are not the same! There are different types of healthcare facilities that provide abortion care, such as clinics and hospitals.
There are also agencies/centers that give the clear impression on their website or in print that they will discuss all of your options in an unbiased way and refer you for an abortion if that’s what you choose.
Be Careful! Read the fine print! They often entice women into coming in with the promise of a free ultrasound and counseling or a free consultation for an abortion. They have been known to provide inaccurate information and to have a process that delays women who want to have an abortion.
A good abortion provider will:
- - Answer all of your questions
- - Provide unbiased counseling and referrals for all of your pregnancy options
- - Provide accurate medical information about abortion, the safety and risks of the procedures, pre- and post-operative instructions, and information about any state abortion laws that need to be followed.
- - Offer counseling and access to birth control methods
- - Treat you with respect and compassion. You deserve quality medical care and to be treated with dignity and kindness.
Have your questions ready when you make your call. Here are some suggestions.
- - Do you provide abortion services? If yes, how far can an abortion be done and which procedures do you offer?
- - How will the weeks of pregnancy be determined? Exam? Ultrasound?
- - Are the facility and the staff properly licensed?
- - Are there special state laws for minors?
- - Are there special state requirements for counseling or waiting periods?
- - What is the cost of the abortion and what does that include?
- - Are there lab tests involved? Are they included in the cost?
- - What types of payment does the facility accept? Cash, credit/debit cards, insurance?
- - Are follow-up appointments available? Is the cost included?
- - When are appointments available?
- - Can I bring someone with me to the appointment?
- - What will I need to bring to my appointment?
- - Should I expect protesters at the facility?